Brandywine Construction Co., Inc. (BCCI) is a general contractor focused on underground utility installations and maintenance, civil site development, paving & restoration, and mechanical piping construction. Our company has earned a reputation of consistent dependability and value while providing quality work. Our commitment to safety and excellence, and our dedication to the customers we service is demonstrated through the knowledge and experience of our tradesmen, supervision, and ownership. Our core focus is construction and maintenance services for the gas, water, and sewer distribution markets throughout and beyond New Castle County, Delaware. We cherish the reputation we have built and appreciate the repeat business opportunities our customers have afforded us. Led by a management team with over 60 years of experience, BCCI is well positioned for future growth and continued success and is looking for a qualified candidate to help us maintain the highest levels of quality and service.
Construction Financial Controller
The Construction Financial Controller is responsible for all accounting, treasury, payroll, employee benefits, tax, commercial insurance, financial assets, financial reporting, and special project needs through direct oversight of the Accounting Department. The Controller plans, implements and supervises the company’s financial strategy. The controller also oversees and manages all IT issues with outside consultant support. Prior industry experience is required and this position reports directly to the President of the company.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Accounting: Implement accounting internal controls and procedures with senior management collaboration; oversee accounting staff to ensure receivable billings and vendor payments are processed timely with proper compliance documentation.
- Treasury: Manage, record, and reconcile investment and checking activity; monitor and forecast cash flow needs.
- Payroll and Benefits: Manage payroll processing including all required tax deposits and tax filings, maintain strong employee and employer records. Manage all aspects of employee benefit programs including marketing, employee communications, enrolling and updating employee changes, etc. Proactively research and implement tax and benefit regulatory requirements.
- Tax: Research and advise on state contractor tax law, register, and file income and sales tax as needed for all jurisdictions.
- Insurance: Oversee commercial insurance program, review, and acquire project specific insurance requirements, enforce subcontractor insurance requirements, manage claims as needed.
- IT: Manage user issues for office network. Troubleshoot and fix PC and mobile device problems engaging outside consultant as needed.
- Accounting Software: Manage financial and accounting software (Trimble TC1) used by the company and update server as needed, archive files and ensure monthly balance between all modules.
- Financial Reporting: Prepare internal monthly financial statements including variance analysis, work in progress (WIP) report; Prepare quarterly financial reporting package for the Board of Directors. Perform quarterly accounting analysis and coordinate annual review engagement with outside CPA firm.
- 5+ years cost / construction accounting experience a must, CPA preferred.
- Must have solid knowledge of WIP reporting and construction insurance issues.
- Candidate should be proactive and interested in improving processes while maintaining checks and balances and fraud prevention.
- Must be a strong leader who also works well in a team environment.
- Construction accounting: 5 years (Required)
- Cost accounting: 5 years (required)
- Decision making
- Project/task follow-up
- Experience dealing with banks and financial institutions
- Work with Senior Management and Operations Managers to ensure financial directives are followed
- Excellent written and verbal communication
- Strong knowledge of Excel required
- 401(k) matching
- Dental insurance
- Health insurance
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- Vision insurance
- Performance based annual incentives
- Monday to Friday